As we enter this last week of 2016, I am reflecting on the year, what’s important in my life and things I want to make sure I keep in mind as we ring in the new year. Not necessarily resolutions, just reminders. Here’s my countdown to 2017 list – one for each day remaining in the year!
7. Take Care of Your Spirit. Whether you are religious or spiritual or just believe there has to be something greater than ourselves, take some time to nurture your spirit. This could be attending a service, meditating, developing a yoga practice or merely doing some mindful breathing – some sort of spiritual practice will help you stay centered which helps us cope in this crazy world.
6. Keep Learning. There are so many things that I (and you!) don’t know about. Feeding our intellectual curiosity is one way to keep feeling vital and vibrant and INSPIRED! Attend an art lecture, go to a book reading, watch a documentary on Netflix, take a course at your local community college, take an online course (Harvard offers free courses!), listen to a podcast. There are so many inexpensive or free ways to feed your brain!
5. Travel. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert – one of my favorite quotes! Travel can add a tremendous amount of perspective in our daily lives and help us better understand the world and ourselves. Something happens when we are outside of our comfort zones. And it can be magical. And did you know that travel is also good for your health?! So get a credit card that offers good travel rewards, save money by staying at Airbnbs or if you are adventurous, try Couchsurfing. Watch some Anthony Bourdain to get inspired and book an adventure!
4. Save. I am writing from the perspective of a single woman in my 40’s. If you are in a similar age range and don’t have an emergency fund saved up, which would allow you to live for six months, do everything you can to make this happen as soon as possible. We are grown-up women and need to have that kind of savings cushion to truly enjoy our lives free from financial stress. This is important.
3. Keep Good Company. “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with,” says American entrepreneur and motivational speaker Jim Rohn. Think about this. A lot. And then think about who you might not want as much in your life moving forward. You don’t need any dramatic breakup with friends, but just be aware of this and maybe back off from a few of the less positive people in your world.
2. Life Your Life Out Loud. That means absolutely no apologies for who you are, what you believe and how you live. #youdoyou
1. Honor Your Inner Goddess. Yes, it’s me – the one who feels most passionate about encouraging women to embrace and honor their sexuality. It’s extremely healing, and healthy and empowering to know how you like to be pleased. If you don’t feel like you have fully explored this part of your life, now is the time. Read some books, take an online course (shameless plug for my upcoming course on dating and sexuality!), experiment with some toys and get to know your body. Get those ‘O’s!
Happy New Year!!!